The Section 8 Process
- Tenant locates a unit they are interested in renting and confirms that the landlord is interested in participating in the Section 8 program.
- Landlord completes lease approval documents
- Tenant schedules appointment with caseworker and returns signed lease approval documents
- Caseworker determines tenant eligibility for the selected house (based on rent to income ratio)
- Tenant must show written proof of service eligibility from the utility companies
- Caseworker notifies inspector to schedule Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection
- When the house passes HQS, the caseworker is notified and the process continues
- If the house fails HQS, the landlord is required to complete all repairs and pass re-inspection before the inspection passes
- Tenant pays deposit
- Tenant meets with caseworker to receive final approval for move-in
- Caseworker generates a move-in approval and delivers it to the landlord by mail or preferably by fax
Rent will be prorated in instances of approval after the beginning of the month.
In no circumstance will rental assistance begin before satisfactory inspection is accomplished and approval for move-in is granted.
If the landlord grants permission for tenant move-in prior to the time that satisfactory inspection is accomplished and approval for move-in is granted, the tenant will be responsible for any rent incurred from the time of move-in until the time that satisfactory inspection is accomplished and approval for move-in is granted.